Gamer dies after mistakenly drinking toxic chemical while playing PUBG

Gamer dies after mistakenly drinking toxic chemical while playing PUBG

16th December 2019 0 By Jordan Heal

An Indian man has died after mistakenly drinking a toxic chemical while playing popular battle royale game PlayerUnknown’s Battleground (PUBG).

Saurabh Yadav, 20, from Gwalior in central Madhya Pradesh state, was travelling on a train with his friend, Santosh Sharma, heading to Agra Cantonment on the Swarna Jayanti Express – where Sharma frequently visits for work.

Sharma, who uses acid to clean jewellery for his job, was carrying some of the toxic substance in the pair’s travel bag.

While travelling, Sharma claims Yadav was playing the mobile version of the popular PUBG game on his smartphone. He went to grab his bottle of water from the bag but found himself so engrossed in the game he didn’t check which bottle of fluid he had picked up.

Sharma has been arrested and charged with culpable homicide.

He told the police that by the time he had realised Yadav had consumed the toxic substance, his friend had already drank a lot of it.

“I was on the upper berth. Saurabh was on the lower one, watching a video on phone and eating snacks with headphones plugged into his ears. He mistakenly took took out the chemical bottle instead of water from my backpack and drank it,” he claims.

“With the first sip, he realised his mistake as he felt a burning sensation in his throat. He immediately called me for help.”

The next stop was Agra Cantt however before the train reached the destination Yadav had already died.

Railway doctors were on standby after being alerted by the train guard declared him dead once the train they examined him.

Sharma claims it was an accident but Yadav’s family are alleging he purposefully gave his friend the acid.

“Santosh Sharma claimed that he had pulled the chain before Dholpur station, seeking medical help, but train guard S K Choubey, after taking cognisance of the situation, continued with the journey for Agra, which was 45 minutes away,” said Vijay Kumar, SHO of Agra Cantonment.

After the chain had been pulled shortly after Dholpur station, the train guard met the victim and alerted the stationmaster for help. The train could not be taken back so it was decided to travel to Agra for medical assistance.

The government railway police (GRP) Agra Cantonment has charged Sharma with culpable homicide after Yadav’s father made a complaint, reports The Times of India.

The GRP Agra Cantonment has been contacted by eGaming Desk for a comment, but a response has yet to be received.

The issue has become a growing one in India with the same report revealing that, in February, a married man in Chhindawara was also so absorbed in his PUBG game that he too accidentally drank acid instead of water.

He was operated on and survived but – to his doctor’s surprise – was so addicted to the game he continued playing it after regaining consciousness.

Other reports covered a story about a 16-year-old student in India who died from a heart attack after a six hour stint playing PUBG. His brother reportedly told media he would play the game up to 18 hours per day.

The same report also makes reference to yet another young Indian man who accidentally drank acid instead of water while also playing PUBG.

Interested in reading more offbeat gaming-related stories? Discover more about a streamer who blamed World of Warcraft for not cleaning his room in 14 years.